When we went to the Bett Show – back in January – we met some people from JTRS, next to the Apple stand. Miss Castle and Mrs Jones got talking to them and ended up ordering some iPads through them. They then visited the last Digital Leader Academy we held (back in March with Mark Anderson) and were impressed with our school.
Following on from that they held a Coding and Programming event at our school on Thursday 16th June, which was attended by lots of Primary and Secondary teachers in the North West. We got to try out: Spheros, Drones, Parrots, Lego Education kits, discovered lots of Apps that will support programming and coding and in addition we ran a Makey Makey session! As Digital Leaders, we run lots of different clubs at lunch times and one of them has been a Makey Makey club for Year 4 pupils, which Mrs Rollinson helped us run. It was a great experience for us to share with adults how Makey Makey can enhance lessons such as science and teach pupils about circuits.
The adults all had HotPot too, which they said was delicious! We hope JTRS will come back and hold similar events.
Year 6 Digital Leaders 🙂
At lunchtime today, we had a Digital Leader meeting to discuss the following points:
- Year 5 Digital Leader’s to support a parent workshop tomorrow, using Adobe Voice.
- Year 6 Digital Leader’s assisiting at Parents’s evening tomorrow with parental questionnaires on the iPads.
- Digital Leader Academy next week – our Digital Leader’s to suppport other schools.
- New timetable of clubs and year groups to commence next week.
Mrs Jones 🙂
MaKey MaKey Club will meet every
with Mrs Rollinson
Josh, Mitchel, Oliver and Amelie.
Today Mrs Maddocks and I met with the digital leaders to discuss a plan of action for the next half-term.This is what was decided:
- We will advertise for and appoint a digital leader from each class in Years 5 down to 2, our current leaders will be allocated to support each new leader.
- Comptech have set up an email account for digital leaders to communicate ideas.
- Blog of the week is underway and leaders will support in encouraging blogging and tweeting.
- Leaders will support staff in using iPads, devices, MacBooks, blogs, Twitter etc.
- Digital leaders were highly excited about running lots of lunchtime clubs; clubs agreed for this half-term (to be run by the leaders and supported by Mrs Jones and Mrs Maddocks) are:
- Garage Band for years 4 & 5
- Coding (scratch) – year 2
- Coding (scractch) – year 3
- App explorers/app of the week – years 4 & 5
- SketchNation – years 2 & 3
- Makey Makey – year 6
We are meeting tomorrow lunchtime to finalise days and the leaders can the produce posters for their clubs.
Exciting times ahead!
Mrs Jones 🙂